Shashi Tharoor Wiki, Age, Twitter, Books, Wife, Speech, Career, Memes
Shashi Tharoor was born on 09-03-1956 in London in the state of England, United Kingdom. He is an Indian Politician, Novelist, Author, Writer, Chairperson & Spokesperson. Shashi Tharoor is a member of the Indian Parliament and also a columnist, author, human rights activist, and a former UN envoy. He served in the UN for 29 years. Shashi is passionate about politics and has been writing for newspapers, like Washington Post, The Times of India, New York Times, The Hindu and many more. This has also written fiction and non fictions, which have also been translated into many languages. Shashi is known as a compelling speaker and has won many awards. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
Where is Shashi Tharoor from?
He married Tilottama Mukherji and with whom he has two sons named Ishaan and Kanishk. He divorced her and married Christa of Canada. This marriage too was short-lived and after divorcing her, he married for the third time to Sunanda Pushkar in 2010. They were married until Sunanda’s death in 2014. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
How old is Shashi Tharoor?
Shashi Tharoor Biography
Here is the full Bio(Wiki) of Shashi Tharoor, his family/ mother/ father/ brother/ sister/ daughter/ son’s name, age, height in feet, weight, cases, interests/hobbies, wifes, girlfriends, school, murder case, books, quotes, his twitter, facebook, Instagram, earning /income/net worth, birthday, zodiac sign, education, caste, religion, Date Of Birth. How tall is Shashi Tharoor? His current original height is 5 feet 8 inches and Weight 70 KG. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
Personal Life Shashi Tharoor
Shashi Tharoor was born in 1956 in London. He is originally from Kerala as his parents, father Chandran Tharoor and mother Lily were from Kerala. His early education was completed in Montfort school in Yercaud, Tamil Nadu and Campion School in Mumbai. His high school was completed in St. Xavier’s Collegiate School in Kolkata. He earned his honours degree in History from St. Stephen’s College in Delhi. A bright student, he won a scholarship to Tuffs University in Boston. He earned his master’s degree in the US and also a Ph.D at Tuffs University in Diplomacy from Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
Shashi Tharoor’s first wife was Tilottama Mukherjee and they have two sons, Ishaan and Kanishk. However, they divorced and Tharoor married a Canadian national named Vhirsta Giles. After splitting from Giles, Tharoor married Sunanda Pushkar, who has a son from a previous marriage. However, she died mysteriously in a hotel room in Delhi. He is known to love theatre and has played the role of Antony in Cleopatra. He acted in various plays even in school and college days. Tharoor founded the Quiz Club in St. Stephen’s College. He was elected as the President of the college union. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
Awards Won by Shashi Tharoor
- He won the Gajika Kriplani Young Journalist award in 1976.
- He won the Federation of Indian Publishers award in 1990.
- His book was the Best Book of the Year called, The Great Indian Novel in 1991.
- He was awarded with Excelsior Award in 1998. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
- Shashi was awarded with Pravasi Bharatiya Samman in 2004, but accepted it in 2007.
- He was awarded with Pride of India award in 2009.
- Awarded Digital Person of the year in 2010.
- He won the first Sree Narayan Guru Global Secular and Peace award in 2013.
- Person of the Year award from PETA in 2013.
Shashi Tharoor Wiki
|Real Name||Shashi Tharoor Wiki|
|Profession||Diplomat, Indian Politician, Writer|
|Party||Indian National Congress|
|Political Journey/Diplomatic Career||• Tharoor’s Career in the United Nations started in 1978 as a staff member of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Geneva.
• He was head of the UNHCR office in Singapore from 1981 until 1984.
• In 1989 he was appointed as the special assistant to the Under-Secretary-General for Special Political Affairs, the unit that later became the Peacekeeping Operations wing in New York.
• Tharoor was appointed the director of communications and special projects and executive assistant to the then Secretary-General Kofi Annan in 1996.
• He became Under-Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information, and as Head of the Department of Public Information (UNDPI) in 2001.
• In 2006, the Government of India nominated Shashi Tharoor for the post of UN Secretary-General. Tharoor finished second, behind Ban Ki-moon.
• On 9 February 2007, Tharoor resigned from the post of UN Under-Secretary-General and left the United Nations on 1 April 2007.
• In 2009 Parliamentary Elections, Tharoor was the MP candidate for Congress Party from Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. Tharoor won the election by the margin of about 100,000.
• Under the Govt. of Manmohan Singh, he was sworn in as Minister of State for External Affairs, in charge of Africa, Latin America, and the Gulf on 28 May 2009.
• In May 2014 Tharoor won his re-election from Thiruvananthapuram, defeating O. Rajagopal of the Bharatiya Janata Party by a margin of around 15,000 votes, and got the membership of the 15th Lok Sabha, sitting in Opposition. He was named Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on External Affairs.
• Shashi Tharoor was removed from the post of Congress spokesperson on 13 October 2014 after he praised his party’s opponent, Narendra Modi.
Shashi Tharoor Wiki
|Height(Approx.)||in centimeters- 174 cm
meters- 1.74 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 8”
|Weight(Approx.)||in Kilograms- 70 kg
in Pounds- 154 lbs
|Eye Colour||Hazel Green|
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Date of Birth||9 March 1956|
|Age (as in 2017)||61 Years|
|Birth Place||London, England|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
Yercaud, Tamil Nadu,
Campion School, Bombay
|College||St Xavier’s College Calcutta,
St Stephen’s College, Delhi,
Tufts University, USA
|Educational Qualifications||MA, MALD, PhD|
|Family||Father– Chandran Tharoor
Mother– Lily Tharoor
Sister– Smita Tharoor,
|Controversies||• In September 2009, Shashi Tharoor was at the center of a controversy for staying at a five-star hotel for over three months at a time when the Government was talking about austerity.
• Again in 2009, Tharoor commented on Twitter that he would travel “cattle class” in solidarity with all our “holy cows.” He was alleged to equate the travelling public to cattle.
• Once on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, he said people should work rather than staying at home taking a holiday, thereby paying real homage to Mahatma Gandhi.
• In January 2010, Tharoor disdained Nehru for his vision on Indian foreign policy by the Indian media. The critique angered his party, the Indian National Congress. After the controversy, he held a press conference describing the report as “inaccurate” and “tendentious”. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
• In February 2010, he accompanied then Indian PM Manmohan Singh to Saudi Arabia where he said “We feel that Saudi Arabia has a long and close relationship with Pakistan, that makes Saudi Arabia, even more, a valuable interlocutor for us. When we tell them about our experience, Saudi Arabia listens as somebody who is not in any way an enemy of Pakistan, but a friend of Pakistan and, therefore, will listen with sympathy and concern to a matter of this nature”.
• In 2014, Tharoor backed up Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, a social campaign initiated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Following this, the Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee lodged a complaint against him to the Congress high command for his pro-Modi stance. Following this, Tharoor was dropped as the official spokesperson of the party.
• In 2016, while speaking at JNU on nationalism, Tharoor compared Kanhaiya, a student charged with sedition, with Bhagat Singh, an Indian independence fighter. This comparison generated a great controversy, even the party distanced itself from Tharoor’s views.
|Children||Son– Ishaan, Kanishk
|Net Worth (approx.)||23 Crore INR|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shashi Tharoor
- Born in London, Tharoor was a theatre buff in his school days. While in school, he played Antony to Mira Nair’s Cleopatra in a 1974 production of Antony and Cleopatra. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
- Tharoor began writing at the age of 6, and his first published story appeared in The Free Press Journal, in Mumbai, when he was just 10.
- Tharoor is an arts graduate from St. Stephen’s College where his contemporary included historian Ramachandra Guha; politician Salman Khurshid; film-maker Rajiv Mehrotra; the quiz master Siddhartha Basu; and the novelists Amitav Ghosh, Rukun Advani, and Anurag Mathur.
- In the year 1975, Tharoor obtained his MA and MALD from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University and was awarded the Robert B. Stewart Prize for Best Student.
- At Fletcher, he was the first editor of the Fletcher Forum of International Affairs.
- He has also been awarded an honorary D. Litt by the University of Puget Sound.
- Tharoor completed his Ph.D. at the age of 22. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
- He started his career as a staff member of ‘UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR), in Geneva, in the year 1978. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
- In 1996, he was appointed as director of Communications and Special Projects and executive assistant to then Security General, ‘Kofi Annan’.
- Later, he was appointed as Union – Secretary-General for Communications and Public Information, in 2001.
- In the year 2007, he was included in the Council of Ministers, under Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, as Minister of State for External Affairs.
- Year 2009, he contested in the Indian elections and won with the margin of 10,000 votes. In May 2014, he won the re-election with the margin of 15,000 votes and became the member of the 15th Lok Sabha, sitting in Opposition.
- He was India’s most-followed politician on Twitter until 2013. He was overtaken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Tharoor has been a columnist in The Hindu newspaper (2001-2008), The Times of India, Deccan Chronicle, the Gentleman magazine, and the Indian Express.
- Some of his authored books include The Great Indian Novel, The Five Dollar Smile and Other Stories, Show Business, and Riot. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
Controversies surrounding Shashi Tharoor
Shashi Tharoor in his whole political career has been surrounded by various controversies. His remarks have irked his party members many times and he has been caught in a fix due to his statements. He was also attacked due to his participation and being a shareholder in the Kochi-IPL team. He was accused of having made financial gains to Sunanda Pushkar, who was not his wife then. The matter became serious as the income tax department asked him to pay income tax on sweat equity even after giving it up. All this made Shashi Tharoor to resign from the post of the Minister of State of External Affairs. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
The death of Sunanda Pushkar also built up controversies. Her death mystery has not been solved yet and investigations are being carried out. Shashi Tharoor Wiki
Facebook : Shashi Official Page
Twitter : Shashi Tweets